Thursday, April 24, 2008

Working Tip: Time Management

My two previous posts this week are based on thinking strategically. The Pareto principle is often cited in crime analysis - asserting that 20% percent of the criminals commit 80% of the crime. The 80/20 rule applies also to your activities as an analyst - 20% of what you do results in 80% of your work.

Time management skills are valuable and learning about them, to find the tips that help you work smarter rather than harder, should be a priority. I became more efficient as I analyzed what 20% of the things I did made me most effective - and when I made those things 40% of what I did, I truly improved my work. I also eliminated many of the 80% activities. Monitor how you spend your time and what your current activities produce as outcomes to find out what you should do differently to avoid drowning in work You will be a MORE valuable worker by working smarter rather than harder.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb:
    Love the blog, of course. Just wanted to point out that the pareto principle isn't really accurate for criminal behavior. If only 20% committed 80% of the crime, we would have a much easier time! In reality, the number is closer to 6% of the population commit 60% of the crime (Intelligence-Led Policing, page 63). That is based on a number of longitudinal studies.

    Cheers!

    - Jerry Ratcliffe

    ReplyDelete