Sunday, January 13, 2008

Associations: For Working Analysts

I belong to both the International Association of Crime Analysts (IACA)and The International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysis (IALEIA). I recommend that anyone interested in the development of analysis in policing join these associations to get a full flavor of what analysis is to the two quite different groups.

The IACA is focused on analysis in local law enforcement, while IALEIA is focused on analysis at the state and federal levels, and these are different missions requiring different specialties. Both should be working together to get a holistic, comprehensive understanding of crime problems, but the significant fragmentation of policing in the United States has clouded that horizon of possibility.

1 comment:

  1. Deborah -- this is great information. I'm an intel analyst for US Special Operations Command and I plan on transitioning to FL Dept of Law Enforcement as a Crime Intel analyst. I was looking at certs for both IACA and IALEIA and based on your blog it looks like IALEIA is the way to go. I'm glad I found your blog..it looks like it will be a great resource for me.

    ReplyDelete